Monday, March 31, 2008

Harden the f@#$ up Colorado

Who cares if there are a few snow flurries and freezing temperatures? Yesterday was supposed to be the day of the Koppenberg road race, but it was canceled when a bunch of whiny juniors complained that their brakes didn't work... Sissies, you don't need brakes! Brakes are for slowing down! It's a race, you're supposed to go faster! Drink some piss 'n' vinegar and harden the fuck up!

Ok, well maybe they had a point... But I had a point too! I showed up ready to prove my point in muddy, miserable conditions! May the best man win! Or, may the guy with the cross bike win... which probably would have been the case. Oh well, it sounds like they are just going to postpone the race until next month.

If they had waited an hour or two to start the races the course and weather would have been fine. I went out and rode the course in the early afternoon and it was great! It was that firm moist hard packed dirt which is actually better riding than the typical loose dry stuff.

Generally speaking, the weather has been total shit the past few days. But somehow I've managed to talk myself into chamoising up even when I see the snow coming down, and every time I get out on the bike it stops and the sun comes out. I guess I'm learning that it's your best bet to ride regardless of weather. If you're lucky it will clear up, and if not, hopefully you're prepared. Worst case scenario, you can always turn around and go home, knowing in your heart that you gave it a shot.

No comments: