Monday, April 14, 2008

Long Ride


Yesterday, while the Paris Roubaix took place, Chris, Mason, Erez, and I embarked on a ride that was a little shorter than the infamous Hell of the North and had way fewer cobbles. (I'll take this moment to ask everyone, please, not to tell me who won the Paris Roubaix, not today, not this week, fuck, not next year unless I ask.) What can I say... it was a beautiful day, the ride was incredibly scenic, and, excepting the beginning, the road was never flat. We crossed at least six county lines, making it back (just) before dark, having left at around 9:30 (we took plenty of breaks, and I had a ridiculous amount of mechanical trouble).

The route took us north via Carter lake, up Big Thompson canyon (detouring toward Glen Haven via Devil's Gulch) to Estes Park. Chris turned off to finish homework (though he still rode over 100mi), while the rest of us took Peak2Peak south past Nederland, turning onto Highway 72 toward Wondervu. We finished by descending to Gross Reservoir on a dirt road (the site of my second and third flats), and then climbed up and over Flagstaff back into Boulder. The descent of Flagstaff and the sight of Boulder has never brought me such joy as it did yesterday.

-Kevin

Click here to view the route on Mapmyride.com

2 comments:

Robbie said...

How was the climb up the backside of Flagstaff? I bet that has never felt so steep before.

Кеvin said...

Wasn't too bad. I actually had a nice burst of energy up the steep part, and, as it was the last climb of the day, I wasn't worried about sparing any energy at all.

One other note: weird stuff hurt after the ride. The tendon on the inside of my right elbow and the right side of my left big toenail both hurt really fucking bad after I got off the bike.